Sunday, May 8, 2011

WELCOME

I've been pretty lucky.

That's not bragging, that's a simple explanation for a simple fact. I have been lucky.

Not many people know what they want to do early on in their lives. There are always conflicting options and directions. Sometimes, people end up in a middling job that they're not really happy with, but are stuck there because they don't know what else to do.

Me, I've always had one ambition: comics. Sure, there were other ideas like being a police officer, but the one constant has always been comics. Admittedly, though, I always thought I'd be an artist or writer/artist instead of the writer/editor I am today, but you gotta play to your strengths.

The luck continued when I finally managed to connect with a group of like-minded people after a lifetime of being the only person I knew with any ambitions or ties to the comic world. Being an avid reader with thousands of books, I joined up with the fansite Spiderfan and that led to a colleague turning me on to the group he was a part of. It was through the Comicbook Artists Guild I was finally able to move beyond the little BS comics I cobbled together on my own and become legitimately published. From there, the same colleague also pulled me into a project he was on for Marvel. And that's where I've been for the last two years running.

So, yes, I've been lucky. I know it. Born in a time when comic readership is down with no sign of growing, when comics are harder to break into, I have been lucky.

But, that's enough about me. I welcome you to The Quarter Bin, my little slice of the internet to discuss all things comics and pop culture, and maybe inspire a little dialogue between me and you, my readers. So yes, comments are welcome and encouraged! Agree with what I say, disagree, it's all good.

Why The Quarter Bin? Well, at a convention the most likely place you'll find me is in the discount bins rummaging through them adamantly. It's rare I come home with anything LESS than a full long box of comics. It's my one vice. And hopefully, in time, I can get a snazzier layout going for this blog as a whole.

Onward!

No comments:

Post a Comment